When to Tune In: Wednesdays in October & November, 9–10:30 p.m.
The Vietnam War is a ten-part, 18-hour documentary film series directed by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick.
In an immersive 360-degree narrative, Burns and Novick tell the epic story of the Vietnam War as it has never before been told on film. The Vietnam War features testimony from nearly 100 witnesses, including many Americans who fought in the war and others who opposed it, as well as Vietnamese combatants and civilians from both the winning and losing sides.
Six years in the making, the series brings the war and the chaotic epoch it encompassed viscerally to life. Written by Geoffrey C. Ward, produced by Sarah Botstein, Novick and Burns, it includes rarely seen, digitally re-mastered archival footage from sources around the globe, photographs taken by some of the most celebrated photojournalists of the 20th Century, historic television broadcasts, evocative home movies, revelatory audio recordings from inside the Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon administrations and more than 100 iconic musical recordings by many of the greatest artists of the era.
PBS Passport members have access to the entire series from Sunday, Sept. 17–Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017 to watch on-demand.
The following are October 2017 air dates:
- Vietnam War 101 “Déjà Vu:” Wednesday, Oct. 4, 9–10:30 p.m.
- Vietnam War 102 “Riding the Tiger:” Wednesday, Oct. 4, 10:30-Midnight
- Vietnam War 103 “The River Styx:” Wednesday, Oct. 11, 9–10:30 p.m.
- Vietnam War 104 “Resolve:” Wednesday, Oct. 18, 9-10:30 p.m.
- Vietnam War 105 “This Is What We Do:” Wednesday, Oct. 25, 9-10:30 p.m.
- Vietnam War 106 “Things Fall Apart:” Wednesday, Nov. 1, 9-10:30 p.m.
- Vietnam War 107 “The Veneer of Civilization:” Wednesday, Nov. 8, 9–10:30
- Vietnam War 108 “The History of the World:” Wednesday, Nov. 15, 9–10:30
- Vietnam War 109 “A Disrespectful Loyalty:” Wednesday, Nov. 22, 9–10:30
- Vietnam War 110 “The Weight of Memory:” Wednesday, Nov. 29, 9–10:30
For stories hitting closer to home, be sure to visit Local Stories of Service with local veterans sharing their experiences during this war.